Thursday, March 13, 2008

Player Safety Dungeon

Decided now would be a good time to take a break from Cooking and check out the new Stronghold of Player Safety Dungeon south of Edgeville, and coincidentally, right above the Stronghold of Security in Barbarian Village, and I must say, JaGex has, at last, released an update which will actually garner praise instead of bricks being thrown at their office headquarters. For once, they've released an update for F2P too.

It involves a mini-quest (Really mini), just taking a test from one Professor Henry Smith, a play on Henry Jones, father of Indiana Jones, right down the to beard and glasses, completion of which giving you full access to the jail cells beneath the school, as well as a new emote called Safety First.



Looks like something out of Ultraman, complete with a rising shield from the floor and crossed arms. Personally, I found that tacky.

What really makes this update good are the monsters in the lower dungeon, which is accessed by pulling back a poster that conceals a tunnel to the rest of the jail wing, and as pointed out by Timothy Gold, is a parody of the Shawshank Redemption, where Andy Dufrense, a convict in Shawshank Prison, hides the escape tunnel he dug behind a poster of Linda Ronstadt(He took 27 years and some spare change to dig it). Of course, in the Stronghold its an ugly gublinchette instead of a pretty country singer... At least they didn't parody the other aspects of that novella by Stephen King, because they sure as hell were disgusting...

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Giant roaches dwell deep in the prison cells, and believe me, have great drops. They drop dozens (literally) of law runes. I got almost 70 in 30 or so cockroach soldiers, and thats not all. They drop plenty of charms as well, mostly crimson for some reason, but the occasional green and gold comes along. GP drops are decent and frequent, and they tend to drop NOTED ores, which makes them stackable, mostly mithril. Best of all, they drop rune items like scimitars and square shields on a semi-regular basis which make for a quick buck if you high alch or sell them.



They have a range attack, but I heard that does close to nothing. Only problem here is, the place is a multi combat area, so watch out for moochers. My brother Hunter complains he has his cockroach soldiers swarmed by freeloading noobs quite often, even on worlds with 400< people on them. A cannon cannot be set up there as well, I read this on the Tip It forums.

I'd like to comment on the safety gloves you get upon pulling the lever on one of the higher levels and going through the jail doors. They certainly don't look safe to me, being spiky and all. Look more like something out of a BDSM ritual or something... Besides, I don't think they're safe for any poor pet you decide to pick up while holding them.

I decided to switch to sharks to speed up my advance for 99 Cooking, selling of the trout I had bought with relative ease, and its sure paid off.



The cost of 100k per 210 exp is insignificat. I must hurry up and get that skillcape.

This close to my first 99 though, I've started to give thought to the next skill I'll max out.

I've narrowed them down to the most possible candidates.

-Fishing
-Fletching
-Hunter
-Farming

Suggestions and advice are welcome, even if you think I should do another skill.

No comments: